CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sundays with Jerome: Hoodlums, Halloween and Mexican Chicken Soup

Happy Halloween! When did teenagers become so disrespectful? I know that I may seem old saying that because I know plenty of people when I was growing up who were very disrespectful but it seems like almost every teen now is rude (or maybe it's just the kids in our track or the people that bring their kids to our track). If you have the decency to dress up and knock on my door then I will gladly give you candy, even though you wear a black sweatshirt and a mask and call that a costume, however, when you throw your empty soda cans in my planters and knock over the sidewalk candles, thats when I start to get mad. The candles weren't even on your direct path and you still managed to knock them over. Straight up HOODLUMS. What happened to all of the little kids trick or treating in the neighborhood? Do parents not want to take out their kids for candy anymore or did people just stop having kids? I remember growing up and their were lines at the front doors of houses. Not so much anymore. I guess that's a good thing because candy is so expensive now. We ran out of candy tonight because I didn't think we would get that many trick or treaters. I went to Albertsons and got a couple bags and was shocked at the cost of the 4 bags of candy. Maybe it was because I bought it last minute or maybe it was because it wasn't from Target, regardless, it was expensive. I was also bummed at the unoriginality of the costumes of teens. I saw a litter of cats and six kids with panchos, mustaches and sombreros. Is that supposed to be someone from a movie? The only two costumes I saw that were great was a guy dressed as a banana split and the other dressed like a smores.


Enough about the hoodlums trick or treating. Let me tell you briefly about my weekend. My niece Tori was down along with my mother in law and we had a very relaxing weekend. Tori, my sister and I decided we were going to see Paranormal Activity 2. Tori and I saw the first one when it came out and she was only 13 at the time. We both love scary movies and this was no exception. We both clung to each other and I had a nervous laugh the entire movie while she clenched my arm and screamed at many parts. This second movie did not disappoint either. Between, my sister, Tori and I, we are some of the most scared people in the world. We love to scare people but hate to be scared, so watching this movie was no easy task. The gaps of quietness in between scenes built up a suspense that seemed like it would never end. With no music to make the time pass, the anticipation was nerve racking. With sudden booms and creepy shadows, Paranormal Activity 2 was just as good as the first one, minus the ending which wasn't the best. They did a great job at tying in the first movie with the second and even if you didn't see the first movie, you would still understand the second. It was very difficult to go to sleep that night and there were moments of terror when the dogs would growl a little or dart outside to bark, but it was very fitting for this halloween weekend.

For dinner tonight, we at Mexican Chicken Soup. It is inspired by a Taco Soup and a Chicken Tortilla Soup

Mexican Chicken Soup

Ingredients:

1 onion
2 garlic cloves
2 zucchini
2 squash
6 chicken tenderloins
3 10oz cans enchilada sauce
1 (14.5 oz) can low sodium chicken broth
2 (4 oz) cans diced green chiles
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can white beans
1 can corn
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp red pepper
pepper
salt
1.5 cups white rice

Directions:

Dice the onion and garlic cloves and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker. Cut up and quarter the zucchini and squash. Mix the vegetables together. Place the 6 frozen chicken breasts on top of the vegetables. Pour in the enchilada sauce, chicken broth and chiles. Drain the beans and corn and then pour them on top. Add the cumin, chili powder, red pepper and add pepper and salt to taste. Cook in the slow cooker for 6 hours. Stir occasionally. Add rice at the end.

In a separate pot, cook 1.5 cups rice to 3 cups water. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice. then simmer until water is gone.

Before serving the soup. Mix in the already cooked rice. EAT!

It's SO GOOD and SO EASY to make. Good luck and Happy Halloween.
P.S. I can't believe it's already Movember.

0 comments: