I first want to start out by asking you all to pray for Warren Whitehead, Jen's Dad. He is in the hospital for some untreated Pneumonia that he was told was only bronchitis by Menifee Hospital. Menifee Hospital actually dropped him off at home by ambulance and said he was ok to be at home. I am so thankful that he was able to go to the VA in Loma Linda where they have taken amazing care of him. We thought we were going to lose him Saturday night but thanks to the VA we will here his jokes for many more times to come. He is still in the hospital getting taken care of and he's not out of the clear, so your prayers and thoughts will be welcomed.
Secondly...in about 10 weeks I AM GOING TO BE A DAD!!!! This means I get to do some construction. We decided to transform the guest bedroom into Averie's room and I am happy with the way things turned out (I posted video and pics a few weeks ago). Last weekend I finished the room and patched up all of my mistakes and this past week I put together all of the nursery furniture. Jen found some accessories this weekend to zsush up the room and my mother-in-law is going to begin the bedding soon... so for now my work is complete in the nursery.
Trying to figure out where the bolts go to put on the front of the crib.
It seemed easy but was kind of complicated
Once I figured it out it was actually quite easy.
I then had to reread the directions but the bolts were in backwards.
This weekend it was time for me to mount our TV above the fireplace. Again, I had it planned that it would be a simple task and I was going to buy a ceiling mount and mount it in an hour and be done with it. However, after some careful planning and rethinking, I realized there were no studs where I wanted to hang it and it wasn't going to look as I had planned in my head. Ideally, I was youtubing how to install a TV and came across how to install a TV that lowered out of the ceiling and it was all by remote control. This would be awesome but not this time. I then talked over my plan with my brother and we combined our ideas and began to draw it up. The idea was to build an outer casing around the stone of the fireplace that sat atop the mantel. This way, if we decide to go back to the stone, we can. The TV would be mounted inside the piece and then framed. This in fact is what we did. I also want to get rid of the built in corner piece that is in the living room because it throws off the dynamic and it is so white, but it works for now...until my next project.
I had some friends come over and help this weekend and we constructed the frame much quicker than I expected. Thanks to Caleb, Matt and Joey for coming by to help, they were lifesavers. My brother was supposed to come over and help and so was my other friend Caleb but they weren't able too and I am glad they weren't because there would have been nothing for them to do. I felt bad as it was trying to find jobs for people to do when constructing the frame.
Joey and Matt installing the side supports.
The finished frame without the TV
Caleb adding a few more screws to secure the frame.
The finished frame and mounted TV
The funny thing is is if our house fell down, the only thing left standing would be the mantel and box that houses the TV. It is so sturdy.
The guys left shortly after we constructed it so I could then begin to think about how to actually do the cover for the frame. In my head, it was simple. Flat panel on the front, two on the sides, crown molding and a little edging and voila. Not so much. We didn't end up needing as many supports as I had planned on so I needed to buy a little thicker wood for the front and side panels so it wouldn't look flimsy. After about 2 hours at home depot I had a plan and began to construct.
The sides of course were easy, two rectangles. The front I was going to cut in half and kind of cut it into a C shape so that it would then frame the TV and I would add molding around that. After struggling and trying to make it work, I finally got it. It wasn't as straight or as pretty as I would have liked but once I put the molding around it, I hoped you wouldn't be able to really notice my mistakes.
Trying to cut out the C part
Painting the panels
The mess I have made
The boards are up minus the moulding.
After painting and cutting and painting and measuring and touching up and touching up and touching up, I finally finished. I still need to put a final coat of white on certain parts, and need to add some sconces on the side to break up all the white, but for now it is complete.
The finished piece
The white seems a little overpowering for the room and it seems to be a little large right now, but like I mentioned earlier, I am going to remove the built in on the left of the picture and replace it with two bookshelves and cabinets on both sides of the fireplace. It's a work in progress and I love it. Keep checking back for more updates.
Have a great week.









0 comments:
Post a Comment