This month is November, but as we say in the office, it's MOVEMBER. Movember is an annual month-long event involving the growing of moustaches during the month of November. Movember raises awareness and funds for men's health issues, such as prostate cancer and depression. Last year, our work decided to participate in Movember by growing beards but it was more of a friendly competition in the office. This year, we took it one step further and actually are raising funds as a team. http://us.movember.com/mospace/633706/ Below is a photo of the first week's progress.
week 1 For the past few years, I have always had some type of facial hair on my face, but never a mustache for a long period of time. I have very sensitive skin so I don't like shaving my face everyday. The mustache in the beginning phase is pretty awful too. You tend to get different looks from people and I feel myself being very self conscious about it. Well at least I did until today at church. I have become a little more aware of people rocking mustaches this past week. I look at someone and wonder, are they participating in Movember? I asked myself the same question when I went to church this morning. We have a pastor who normally rocks a beard but today he had a perfectly groomed handlebar mustache. I leaned over to Jen and said, "I wonder if he is participating in Movember" and believe it or not, he mentioned that he got a work email talking about Movember and decided to be a part of it. He told a very funny story about people treating him differently because he had a mustache and we just laughed because I noticed the same thing. When we went to breakfast this morning, I also noticed someone sitting next to us who had a full Burt Reynolds stache and I know it had to be because of Movember. I only know one person who loves mustaches as much as Burt Reynolds and it is my dear friend Jenneane. I love her but don't know if I could every love a mustache. I hope I can get into it by the end of the month. The funny thing is, because I am documenting my progression each day, I find myself trying to dress appropriately for the mustache so it looks correct. The wrong outfit could seriously make me even creepier than I already look. We will see by month's end if I was successful. Please stay updated through my Movember webpage and help raise awareness for these awful health issues.
For Sunday dinner this week, Jen and I decided on homemade tacos, with fried taco shells and spanish rice. Jen's spanish rice is amazing. So much better than Rice-A-Roni or Unlce Ben's Spanish Rice. Here is the recipe:
Spanish Rice
1 onion, diced
1 cup white rice
2 cups water
2 tbs chicken bouillon
1 can tomato paste
garlic powder
cumin
Dice one onion and place it in a small pot with 2 tbsp olive oil. Cook the onion for 1 min and then add the white rice. Mix together and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the onion is browned. Add the water, chicken bouillon and 1/2 the can of tomato paste. Fill the other 1/2 of the can up with water and add to the mixture. Pour in some garlic powder and cumin. Bring to a boil and then simmer until liquid is gone.
This is the perfect flavor and the rice is always cooked perfectly. It was the perfect ending to a weekend filled with friends and amazing restaurants. P.S. As a bonus, Jen got to feel Averie move tonight. She must have enjoyed the food too. And as a P.S.S. Trader Joe's has peppermint Joe Joe's back and a frozen pumpkin cheesecake for only $6.99. Have a great week.
1 comments:
Averie fist pumping already? How exciting!!!
Post a Comment